We live our lives based on social conventions where we want some sort of relationship, no matter how fleeting it is, before we want to help someone. I know that I’m guilty of this mentality. Do you have an internal monologue that goes something like this: “What? You want my help? You want to inconvenience me? Ugh. I don’t really know you OR you haven’t gone through the right channels to be able to ask for that.” This is typical and no one would be surprised if you thought that way when a stranger asked for a favor. Dr. Cialdini, professor at the University of Arizona even talks about the importance of reciprocity.
You are here: Home > Be A Step Ahead of Social Conventions
I want to challenge you to be better than the social convention. When someone asks you for a favor, why not decide to be the first one to extend a helping hand? Do it without any expectation of the person. Do it cheerfully and help wholeheartedly. Do it even when you don’t have a relationship with that person. Decide to be the positive influence in someone’s day. You never know, your actions could change someone’s life.
Photo by LiminalMike
Photos on flickr
- Follow Friday on Twitter 9:53 pm
- How to Renew a Blogspot Custom Domain 3:13 pm
- The Truthiness About Canada 9:02 pm
- Wild at Heart Boot Camp – Hawaii 11:07 am
- How to Unlock a Sprint BlackBerry 12:16 am
- Thirteen Photos from San Francisco 3:28 pm
- Ford Atlas Chief Designer Interview: Gordon Platto 2:37 pm
- How to Unfollow Post on Facebook Mobile 12:02 pm
- The Science of Happiness 8:26 pm
- Austin City Limits – 2012 via Logitech UE 10:24 am
- Melissa: I wish I had seen this before! Such a great inform...
- Kateryna: It was a very good advise. The link worked at the ...
- sale a dos christian louboutin: I am curious to find out what blog system you are ...
- longchamp for sale: Howdy fantastic website! Does running a blog like ...
- Frederic: And as it is not a disease of itself it does not n...
@nanpalmero android BlackBerry blackberry power user Canada culture dramatic difference drive out fear eureka ranch explore stimulus facebook firefox foursquare hotwire innovation iphone law of reciprocity Leadership m.zuiko marcus buckingham mark goulston nan palmero olympus overt benefit peoplepond photography planet eureka priceline real reason to believe robert cialdini san antonio express news san francisco scobleizer sony sprint strengths sxsw sxsw 2010 texas thank you tour travel twitter viigo youtube