How to Compel a Response…from @BrentSpiner

Marcus and I have been friends since the 90’s. Since Bill Clinton was President.  Since Motorola introduced the StarTac.  Since he chewed on my loaned pen (I didn’t take it back). Recently, I’ve been enjoying his tweets as he’s become really active on Twitter. Marcus is known as @mlnorvell4 and recently he made it his mission to get a response from Brent Spiner – @brentspiner – of Star Trek and Independence Day fame. How would he do this? Tweet insane messages. It worked. Here are the high res JPG and PDF files for your humor. Keep it up, Marcus. Next target? @JimNorton Good luck, buddy.

UPDATE (2/26/2010): Marcus has been listed as The King of Celebrity Twitter Harassment by

I think this is what started it all…

Decision Making Skills from President Clinton

bill clinton.jpg

One of the struggles I’ve continued to experience in my life is making tough decisions.  We’ve all had to make them.  They’re those decisions where no matter how much you research, talk to your trusted advisers in your life and ponder, you don’t seem to get very close to knowing the “right answer.”  Sure, you recognize the choices you have.  You weigh the pros and the cons of each, but there doesn’t seem to be a clear result for either choice, until the choice has been made.

Before I can get to my insight, I have to rewind a bit.  I was in New York City last week for the Search Marketing Expo where our client, Pear Analytics, was presenting.  My friend, Peter, in New York, helped me get in to see former President Bill Clinton speak at the World Business Forum.  Now, no matter your political affiliation, seeing a US President speak is an opportunity to appreciate.  President Clinton spoke of his time in office and his initiatives now to make the world a better place.  The part that resonated most with me, though, was what he said regarding decision making as a President.  He explained that 90% of the decisions for a President are already made by the time they hit his desk.  You rely on your advisers heavily during this time, check a box and sign your name and you move on. Being President isn’t about this, though, it’s about the remaining 10% of the decisions.  This 10% is where the tough decisions are made.  You don’t really know the exact outcome; the best you can do is study, understand, listen to your trusted advisers and make a decision.  At times, he says, you’ll make the wrong choice, but you have to adjust from there and continue forward.  As he said, being the President is being the Chief Decision Maker.

Hearing this provided me some comfort in my decision making process.  If a Rhodes Scholar and former President of the United States says that you’re not always going to know the right answer, make an informed decision, then adjust accordingly, it tells me that I certainly am also afforded the same latitude.  To some, this information may seem self-evident.  In fact, I hope it is and that you’re further along in your evolution than I am.  For those that struggle with those tough decisions, take heart; just do the best you can and adjust accordingly.

Thanks again for the opportunity, Peter, it was life changing.